This lentil dish has a bit of a twist and the funny thing is, its not Nafis spicy deliciousness. The twist is Gochujang aka Korean pepper paste. Although its not hot to me this pepper bean paste adds an incredible depth of flavor I cant describe. Used on steaks, chicken and one of my favorites BiBimBop, Gochujang you will find is also a versatile component in the kitchen. Enjoy!
• 2 Tbsp coconut oil
• 3 cloves garlic
• 1 tsp minced ginger
• 1/2 cup diced carrots
• 3 Tbsp Nafis Cumin
• 2-3 Tbsp of Korean hot pepper paste
• 3 cups of water
• 2/3 cup dry red lentils, thoroughly rinsed in cold water + drained
• 1 maple syrup or honey
• 1 tsp ground turmeric, plus more to taste
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add coconut oil, garlic, ginger, and carrots. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add pepper paste and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add Nafis Cumin, water and stir to combine. Then add lentils, syrup, turmeric, and stir.
4. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat slightly to low (or medium-low), and gently simmer for 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Stir frequently to incorporate flavors.